Specialized in the prosecution of patent applications and drafting of opinions in the fields of chemistry, biochemistry and microbiology, with a vast experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Devoted environmentalist, Louise still yearns to achieve the “sacred balance”.
LOUISE G. BERNIER
Ph. D., Patent Agent
Patents - Counsel
- Drafting and Prosecution of Patent Applications
- Due Diligence
- International Patent Portfolio Management
- Licensing and Technology Transfers
- Portfolio Management
- Product Life Cycle Management
- Validity, Infringement, Freedom to Operate and Patentability Opinions
Plant Breeders Rights
Patents - Fields of Science and Engineering
- Catalysis and Polymers
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Forestry Engineering
- Formulation and Cosmetics
- Green Technologies
- Life Sciences
- Organic Chemistry
- Polymers Chemistry
- Process Engineering
Louise Bernier specializes in the drafting and prosecution of patent applications and the drafting of patentability, validity, infringement and freedom-to-operate opinions. Her technical expertise covers, amongst others: biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, biotechnology, bioprocesses, agribusiness and environmental sciences. She also advises her clients in matters of patent portfolio management and due diligence reviews.
Registered as a Canadian patent agent in 1992 and in the United-States since 1995, Louise has been one of the first patent agents in Québec to devote her skills to the biochemistry area. Louise has more than 20 years’ experience in the field of life sciences, having worked in a national firm’s patent department and for various businesses in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals before joining ROBIC.
She holds a bachelors’ degree in biochemistry and a Masters’ degree in medical biochemistry from Université Laval, obtained respectively in 1983 and 1985. She also holds a Ph.D. degree in experimental medicine (immunology) completed in 1991 at McGill University. Her studies were directed to the changes appearing in blood group antigens upon oncogenesis of leukemia cells and their potential role as targets of the natural killer immune cells (NK).
Louise’s clients are mainly : research centers, SME and large companies in Canada and abroad working in the fields of :
- Marine Biotechnology
Louise is a member of the life sciences committee at ROBIC.
- Ph.D. in Experimental Medicine, McGill University (1991)
- Training in US IP law and licensing of technology (pilot) program, Franklin Pierce Law Center (1989)
- M. Sc. in medical biochemistry, Université Laval (1985)
- B. Sc.iIn biochemistry, Université Laval (1983)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)